The Price of Permutation
Everything changed when my fishing line caught something heavy. It wasn’t a giant fish, but a glass bottle with a message and a glowing amulet inside. Laughing, we broke the seal and read the instructions written on an ancient piece of parchment. The text explained three unbelievable rules:
Three Wishes: Whoever found it had the right to three wishes. Right after, the amulet, the bottle, and the instructions would disappear for exactly one year;
The Law of Permutation: Nothing is created from nothing. Everything is an equivalent exchange. For something to appear, something of equal value must disappear or transform;
No Cheating: It was strictly forbidden to wish for more wishes.
We looked at each other, thinking it was just a prank by some local fisherman. But greed always speaks louder. Leo cleared his throat and said, half-joking, half-serious:
"You know what? I want us to be rich. Filthy rich!"
In that exact instant, the wind stopped blowing. The amulet in his hand glowed with a blinding golden light. A swirl of fine sand began to gather on the shore of the deserted beach where we had anchored. In seconds, the sand solidified into huge, gleaming piles of solid gold bars.
Our jaws dropped. It was real.
Driven by adrenaline and the sheer panic of seeing so much wealth, I snatched the amulet from Leo’s hand.
"Man, if we are incredibly rich, we need time to spend it!" I shouted. "I wish for us to have perfect health and for our youth to be restored!"
The amulet pulsed again, hot as a burning coal. I looked at Leo and watched the stress lines and the exhaustion of his late forties vanish from his face. He instantly went back to his mid-twenties, with smooth skin and full of energy. I felt the exact same thing happening to me. We were rich, young, and full of life.
That was when that miserable Leo gave a confident smirk, grabbed the amulet back from my hand, and said:
"Well, to finish it off perfectly, right? All that's missing is a true love, a perfect woman to stand by my side while we have all this to spend, right?"
Then, I saw the amulet flash a powerful, bright pink light—so intense that I had to close my eyes. When the light faded, I noticed that Leo was completely paralyzed, staring at me with the exact face of someone who had just caught the biggest fish of his life. A completely hypnotized, silly look.
"Why are you looking at me like that, you idiot?" I tried to yell, but my voice didn’t sound like a man's voice. It floated in the air, soft, melodious, and incredibly charming.
I tried to punch him in the arm out of pure frustration, but all I felt was the wind blowing long, dark hair that now reached my waist, followed by the unfamiliar friction of a white strapless bikini with ruffles. I looked down in shock. My rough fisherman hands were gone. In their place were delicate fingers, soft skin, and perfectly manicured nails.
Rule number two hit my mind like a punch. Nothing comes from nothing. Everything transforms. We were isolated on an island. The amulet needed to create the "perfect true love" for Leo using the available raw material. And that raw material was me.
Leo swallowed hard, adjusted the collar of his shirt (which now looked like an expensive designer brand), and gave a smirk, visibly fighting his own brain:
"Remember the permutation rule, bro? I mean... gorgeous? The amulet doesn't create from nothing. For me to get the love of my life... you had to be traded in the exchange. And you know what? The amulet did an amazing job."
I ran to the water's edge and looked at my reflection in the crystal-clear surface. I was no longer a rugged fisherman. I had turned into a stunning, flawless version of a magazine-cover Barbie, wearing a giant straw hat to protect me from the sun and rocking curves I didn't even know how to balance.
I looked around for the amulet, but it had already evaporated into thin air. We would only go back to normal—if we ever did—in twelve months.
I looked at the piles of gold around us, then at my best friend who now seemed to be forgetting that I was his fishing buddy, and I finally understood the size of my problem. I spent my whole life running away from anything I thought wasn't a "man's thing." Well, fate has a very dark sense of humor.
Check out the most recent story: The Price of Youth
Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment! I'll apreciate!