Daddy, You Really Don’t Recognize Me?
Adjusting his jacket, he gave her a polite nod.
“Sorry. You must be the new secretary. Please tell David I stopped by looking for him.”
The young woman slowly crossed her legs and gave him an enigmatic smile.
“Of course, Daddy. I’ll give him the message as soon as he gets here.”
Lamar’s face hardened instantly.
“Excuse me? Watch how you speak to me, young lady. What kind of joke is this?”
She calmly adjusted her glasses before leaning forward, her eyes fixed on the businessman with unmistakable irony.
“You really don’t recognize your own son?”
Lamar stared at her, speechless.
“Well,” she continued, “last week, when I came here to ask for a position, you told me my qualifications weren’t even good enough to answer the phones.”
She paused, letting the memory sink in.
“I left this office devastated. But David came looking for me afterward and offered me a position as his executive assistant.”
She smoothed the front of her fitted skirt, looking increasingly pleased with herself.
“I decided to accept the challenge. I wanted to prove that you were wrong. If I could be ‘at least the girl who answers the phones,’ as you put it, why stop there?”
A mischievous smile appeared on her lips.
“So here I am.”
Lamar could only stare.
“And apparently, David likes my work quite a lot. He’s already talking about promoting me.”
She adjusted her glasses again.
“We’re discussing the details over dinner tonight.”
She deliberately let the next words hang in the air.
“Judging by the restaurant he reserved, I’d say it’s a rather romantic place.”
Her smile widened.
“Isn’t that interesting, Daddy?”
Lamar went pale.
For once, he had absolutely no idea what to say.
He had humiliated his own child for not being good enough for his company.
Now his son had returned looking completely different, with a new job, a new confidence, and a very determined business partner apparently taking a personal interest in him.
Lamar had expected his insult to be forgotten.
Instead, his son had turned it into the beginning of a revenge he could never have predicted.
What would you do if the person you underestimated came back with a completely different identity?
Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment! I'll apreciate!