The Worst Possible Scenario

My best friend asked me to help with every little detail of the happiest day of his life.

The wedding.

Since I was the only one with a flexible schedule, I became the unofficial assistant.

Hair appointments.

Nail salon.

Makeup artist.

Flowers.

Dress fitting.

Basically, if it had anything to do with making his fiancée look perfect, I was the one driving her around.

By the last appointment, Nina looked exhausted.

She leaned back in the passenger seat and sighed.

"I'm so tired..."

"I know it's stressful," I laughed. "But it'll all be worth it. Oswald planned everything perfectly."

She smiled...

...then looked at me with an expression I couldn't quite read.

"If it's so fun..."

"...why don't you do it instead?"

I laughed.

"Yeah, right."

She slowly extended her hand.

"What if you actually could?"

Still smiling, I shook it.

The instant our hands touched...

...the world lurched.

It felt like someone had grabbed reality itself and twisted it sideways.

For one impossible second, I couldn't even tell which way was up.

When my vision finally cleared...

...I was staring at myself.

Or rather...

My body.

Standing a few feet away.

It was checking itself in exactly the same confused way I was.

Then...

He looked up.

Smiled.

And spoke with my voice.

"It worked."

My stomach dropped.

I looked down.

Long painted nails.

Soft skin.

A weight on my chest that absolutely hadn't been there thirty seconds ago.

Then I caught my reflection in the car window.

Blonde hair.

Delicate features.

The unmistakable face of...

Nina.

I panicked.

"What did you do?!"

She only shrugged.

"You said you'd take my place today."

Then she tossed me the car keys.

"The spa is expecting you."

Before I could move...

She got into my body...

Waved...

...and drove away.


Now I'm sitting alone.

The bridal gown is hanging in front of me.

The makeup artist will be here any minute.

The ceremony starts in a few hours.

My best friend is waiting at the altar...

Thinking he's about to marry the love of his life.

And I haven't seen the real Nina since she disappeared...

Using my face.

This has officially become the worst possible scenario.


What's the worst part of this situation... that nobody realizes yet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the Workshop Changed Sides

Measuring Myself Now...

FeMMCorp (interactive caption [Revisited])