He Knew I Wasn't His Wife

The silence of the night was broken by a calm sentence that landed like a bomb in the bedroom.

Sitting in the armchair across from the bed, the husband stared intently at the stunning figure in a red dress and high heels lying against the sheets.

“Paul, it’s time to admit that I know everything.”

Hearing his real name made Paul’s heart race.

He quickly sat up, his body now belonging to Karen tense beneath the dress. He tried to maintain an innocent expression as he nervously adjusted the hem of the fitted outfit.

“Well... what do you mean, honey?” he stammered, forcing himself to use his wife’s gentle voice while completely failing to hide his nervousness.

“I know you’re Paul, living in my wife Karen’s body. And I know you two have been switched for more than a month, keeping this little secret from me.”

Paul froze.

Shock was quickly joined by overwhelming curiosity. Forgetting about appearances, he crossed his legs in black stockings and finally spoke in his usual manner.

“How did you find out? And how long have you known?”

The husband gave him a faint smile and leaned back in the armchair.

“I found out about three days after the swap. You see, whenever I came home, I noticed that ‘my wife’ and ‘my neighbor’ were always having these strangely familiar conversations over the wall. It made me suspicious, so I decided to confront ‘you’... or rather, the real Karen, who was still at your house.”

“She eventually broke down and told me everything. She said she was exhausted with her routine, tired of the same old life, and wanted a complete reset. I just never imagined that a much younger guy would actually agree to something that crazy.”

Paul let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding.

Since the secret was already out, there was no reason to keep pretending.

“Well, since we're telling the whole truth... she convinced me. I really had a huge crush on her, you know? Karen could tell how much I admired her from a distance, so she came to me with this crazy proposal, asking if I didn't want to ‘see her more closely.’”

“I thought it was just a fantasy, some kind of joke. I had no idea the spell was real, or that I would end up living in her body and taking over her identity full-time!”

Paul paused before looking at the man again.

“But if you knew everything from the first week, why the hell didn't you tell me?”

The husband stood up, walked to the side of the bed, and looked at Paul with genuine admiration as he gently took his hand.

“Because, quite simply, this turned out to be the reset my marriage needed.”

“We were on the verge of falling apart. Our relationship had become cold and lifeless. But watching you figure out how to be a wife, trying to understand her tastes and bringing all that new energy into our home... it gave us exactly what we had been missing.”

“I started looking forward to the goodbye kiss before going to work, something I hadn't received in years. And you gave me one every morning without making it feel like an obligation. It felt genuine.”

He smiled.

“In the end, I gained the ‘perfect wife.’ Or at least someone genuinely determined to become the perfect wife for me.”

Paul felt his face grow warm. He looked down at his red heels before meeting the man's eyes again.

A shy, conspiratorial smile appeared on his lips.

“I admit I was terrified of being caught at first... but after getting used to the clothes, the routine, and the way you treated me... well, she was right.”

“You're a wonderful husband. And now I can confirm that from personal experience.”

The husband smiled.

“When I saw ‘her’... or rather, you... getting ready like that, choosing her nicest outfits, trying on dresses that highlighted every curve, and looking at me with that expression, as if you genuinely wanted to make me happy... my heart nearly stopped.”

“That was when I finally understood that our marriage hadn't died because the love was gone. It had died because we had stopped making an effort.”

“You brought back the connection, the mystery, and the excitement of having someone getting ready for me because they genuinely wanted to be my wife.”

Paul squeezed his hand.

For the first time since the impossible swap, he wasn't worried about being discovered.

The secret was finally out.

And somehow, instead of destroying their marriage, it had given them a chance to start over.

Comments

Last week Most viewed posts

The Cosplay Challenge