The Amulet of Substitution
Henry stared at the wall clock, his chest tightening with anxiety. The dinner with the board of directors was only a few hours away, the final step for the promotion that would change his life. The problem? The event required the presence of wives — a traditional company formality to evaluate "family men." To make matters worse, his wife, Camila, had to travel unexpectedly that morning to take care of her sick mother. Before leaving, desperate for her husband's future, she handed him an ancient silver relic. "If you touch this to someone you trust, they will take on my exact appearance until dawn. Use it wisely," she said.
With no other options, Henry called Austin, his best friend since college. Austin laughed at first, thinking it was a joke, but seeing the desperation in Henry's eyes, he agreed. As the amulet gently touched Austin's shoulder, the magic happened. Before Henry's eyes, Austin’s sharp features softened, giving way to the curves, long brown hair, and familiar face of Camila. The voice changed too, though the way of speaking still held a bit of his friend’s usual sarcasm.
"Man... this is bizarre," "she" said, looking at her own delicate hands. "But a deal is a deal. Let's go win that promotion."
The dinner was an absolute success. Austin did not just play the part perfectly; he exceeded all expectations. He talked business, laughed at the directors' dry jokes, and defended Henry's strengths with a confidence that left the bosses deeply impressed. Henry looked at his transformed friend with a mix of relief and overwhelming admiration. The performance was flawless.
When they finally returned to the apartment and the door closed, the adrenaline of victory took over Henry. He took a deep breath, his heart pounding, completely overwhelmed by the emotion of the night and the sheer sacrifice his friend had made for him.
"Austin... or Camila... I don't even know what to say," Henry began, stepping closer, his voice cracking. "What you did tonight... the way you supported me, how you looked into my eyes... It was the most beautiful performance I have ever seen. I have never felt so understood and loved by anyone in my entire life. You were perfect. If the real Camila were here, she wouldn't have done half of what you did. I think... I am completely falling for you right now."
Henry expected his friend to laugh, break the tension with a joke, or ask to undo the spell right away. Instead, the copy of his wife gave a slow, secretive smile. "She" unbuttoned the first few buttons of the black blazer, revealing a deeply provocative dark blue lace corset and matching stockings underneath.
"Performance, Henry?" the voice came out soft, but with pure confidence. "Did you really think I was just acting?"
Henry took a step back, shocked, while his friend took a step forward, crossing her arms seductively.
"I spent the whole afternoon preparing to support you completely," Austin continued, the tone shifting from playful to serious. "And now that the dinner is over... the celebration of your success is just beginning."
The room seemed to spin for Henry, not from the wine at dinner, but from the intensity of the moment. The realization of what Austin had done—stepping completely out of his comfort zone to ensure Henry's career advancement—disarmed any defense he tried to maintain. This was no simple act to save a college buddy's career; it was a demonstration of absolute loyalty and dedication.
"Austin... you..." Henry’s voice trailed off, stepping closer.
"I’ve watched you struggle for a long time, Henry," Austin said, the voice carrying a sincerity usually hidden behind rough jokes. "When you asked for my help, I realized how much our bond mattered. I didn't just want to give you an alibi. I wanted to give you my best effort. I wanted you to feel like the most important man in that room. Hearing you express your gratitude makes it all worthwhile."
Henry looked at his friend, realizing that the admiration he felt at dinner was rooted in Austin’s character and commitment. It was the years of loyalty and unconditional support that stood out clearly now.
"I see the effort you made, Austin," Henry whispered, the gratitude evident in his expression. "I'm looking at what you did for me, and at who you are as a true friend."
Austin’s smile softened, losing its playful edge and gaining a vulnerable warmth. The tension melted away, replaced by a profound sense of mutual respect and relief after a high-stakes evening. The amulet's magic had provided a strange circumstance, but the strength of their friendship was entirely real.
As the night drew to a close and they prepared to wind down, the relief of the successful promotion settled over them. Looking ahead to the future, Henry knew that having such unwavering support would change his perspective on his career and life moving forward.
Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment! I'll apreciate!