The Cosplay Challenge

My friend's sister had gone away on vacation, leaving the two of us at home with far too much free time. We spent the afternoon lounging around, talking nonsense and looking for increasingly stupid ways to entertain ourselves.

That's when he came up with the brilliant idea of snooping around in his sister's bedroom.

In the middle of the mess, we discovered a collection of cosplay wigs, makeup, accessories, and enough clothes to keep us entertained for hours. After a few minutes of laughing at some of the outfits, my friend suddenly had an idea.

"Okay. Whoever puts together the better outfit wins the bet."

It was such a ridiculous challenge that I immediately agreed.

He grabbed a handful of clothes, I grabbed another, and we each disappeared to opposite sides of the room to put our outfits together.

I'll admit, I got a little too invested in the competition.

I pulled the long white socks over a pair of dark tights, slipped into a pleated white miniskirt, and paired it with a long-sleeved floral top. Then I tied my hair into pigtails with the little yellow pom-poms I'd found among the accessories.

The makeup was probably the part that surprised me most. A little foundation, some careful eyeliner, a touch of color on my lips, and finally a necklace I had found in one of the drawers.

When I finally looked in the mirror, I froze.

Somehow, the whole combination actually worked.

The clothes gave me a completely different silhouette, the makeup softened my features, and the ridiculous pigtails somehow completed the look instead of ruining it.

I turned from side to side in front of the mirror, already imagining my victory.

There was no way he could possibly beat this.

I walked into the living room, ready to rub my victory in his face.

Then I stopped.

My friend hadn't even changed.

He was sitting on the couch, holding his phone up and recording me.

For a second, neither of us said anything.

Then he burst out laughing.

"Wait... you've been recording this the whole time?!"

He could barely answer because he was laughing so hard.

And just when I thought the humiliation couldn't get any worse, he suddenly reached over, grabbed a bunch of artificial roses from one of his mother's vases, and walked toward me with an exaggerated flourish.

He handed me the flowers, bowed dramatically, and announced:

"Congratulations. You absolutely nailed the look."

I stared at him.

Then at the flowers.

Then at the phone still pointed directly at me.

"Delete that."

He laughed even harder.

Now I'm standing there beside the wardrobe, holding those ridiculous flowers while he practically rolls around on the floor laughing.

The bet was obviously a trap from the beginning.

And somehow, I had played right into it.

But there's one thing I'm much more worried about now.

That video.

Because if it ends up in our friends' group chat, I might survive the embarrassment.

If it somehow reaches his sister...

I'm never going to hear the end of it.

Comments

Last week Most viewed posts

The Great Shift Had a Wicked Sense of Timing