My New Life Started with a Stranger Knocking on My Door

The knock came early that morning.

When I opened the door, a young man in an expensive suit stood there, looking strangely nervous.

"I'm sorry to bother you, ma'am..."

"My father passed away last night."

He hesitated before continuing.

"Your address was written on several pieces of paper in his office."

I frowned.

"I'm sorry... I think you've got the wrong person."

He looked genuinely confused.

"You really have no idea why one of the richest men in the country would have your address?"

Of course I knew.

I just couldn't tell him.

Three weeks ago...

I was that billionaire.

Terminally ill.

The doctors had given me less than three years to live.

One evening, tired of hospitals and bad news, I went for a walk and stopped at a small neighborhood diner.

The waitress was cheerful.

She joked that, judging by my suit, I looked like someone who believed money could buy anything.

I smiled and told her...

"Money isn't everything."

She laughed.

"Then let's make a deal."

"You live my life for a year... and I'll live yours."

It was such an absurd idea that I laughed.

Impossible.

Ridiculous.

But somehow...

It wasn't.

I never told her I was dying.

She never asked why I accepted so quickly.

She wanted the fortune.

I wanted another chance at life.

It felt like a fair trade.

What I never expected...

...was that I wouldn't survive long enough to take my body back.

Now...

My own son is standing on my doorstep.

Looking me straight in the eyes...

Without realizing he's talking to the man who raised him.

I should tell him the truth.

Instead...

I smiled politely.

"I'm sorry... I think you've made a mistake."

He thanked me for my time and quietly walked away.

As I watched him disappear down the street...

I couldn't help smiling.

She inherited the billions.

I inherited a healthy body.

And now that my old life is finally over...

Maybe...

For the first time in decades...

I can start living.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the Workshop Changed Sides

Measuring Myself Now...

FeMMCorp (interactive caption [working again!])